After 2 years and over $8K, I'm still in JUST as much pain as I was the day I walked into that clinic on a referral and the only thing I have to show for it is a letter from their collection department because they don't want to continue the agreement of payment per month that they first agreed to accept from me to pay off a $2K balance AFTER insurance. Yes, I enjoy when people BACK OUT on an agreement! NOT!
I work every single day. I have a kid still at home (grown, but still home), a wonderful husband, an aged pet who's been with us for 12 years now and all the details of both lives like everyone else. The exception is that I deal with constant pain in my bones and muscles and don't get any breaks from it.
You'd think that this story is much like millions of others who suffer with other debilitating diseases like Lupus, ALS, MS, MD, Cancer (all kinds), Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), etc. There's a bunch of us in this world who suffer everyday and hope against all good sense that the physicians that we see can and will put personal oath over financial gain and help us restore the best possible life that we can get. NOPE. Don't expect anything because that's what you're going to get ... NOTHING.
I've decided to pray for this physician. My first thoughts were to curse him for what he's done to me financially while laughing at me when I tell him that the treatments he's giving me DON'T help!! But, I don't because I know I would not want someone to do that to me. With genuine sincerity, I prayed for him to realize his duty and moral obligation to those he's taking money from; help those folks who've entrusted their lives to him and do the best he can to help them as honestly as possible. Finally, when he sees that nothing he can do will help them, LET THEM GO and find someone else but don't keep SUCKING THEIR BANK ACCOUNT DRY! What is wrong with the medical world that they are in it for the money?? Did they forget they took the Hippocratic Oath:
"Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panacea and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant:
To hold him who has taught me this art as equal to my parents and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage and to teach them this art - if they desire to learn it - without fee and covenant; to give a share of precepts and oral instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me and to pupils who have signed the covenant and have taken an oath according to the medical law, but to no one else.
I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice.
I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.
I will not use the knife, not even on sufferers from stone, but will withdraw in favor of such men as are engaged in this work.
Whatever houses I may visit, I will come for the benefit of the sick, remaining free of all intentional injustice, of all mischief and in particular of sexual relations with both female and male persons, be they free or slaves.
What I may see or hear in the course of the treatment or even outside of the treatment in regard to the life of men, which on no account one must spread abroad, I will keep to myself holding such things shameful to be spoken about.
If I fulfill this path and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely. may the opposite of all this be my lot."
Am I now to believe that this is only memorized for the entertainment of peers like a jester to the courts? One would surmise that any physician has it in their heart to do and follow those oaths taken upon completion of their education in this art. Don't assume too quickly though; it is not your best interest that many are in search of. Rather, they are more interested in your income per year and how much you are willing to spend on their skills of their craft.
Yes, it is the American dream to live like a physician, but I know this at the end of the day; Their heaven is now but once they are dead and gone, their heaven is over. Although I'm suffering now, my heaven is not here and when I am dead and gone, I will be the one thankful to live like a child of the King for eternity.
To all physicians; Good luck in your quest for wealth at the peril of those who've entrusted you with their health. You may think you're getting away with something now, but you will meet your Judge after your life here on earth is over. Explain to Him why you took advantage of the sick for the purpose of living like a magician. I'm sure He'll listen intently to your story of "rags to riches" and "I did the best I could..."
No comments:
Post a Comment